Author Topic: Trump Taps Salesman To Run Military Draft  (Read 1171 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Trump Taps Salesman To Run Military Draft
« on: April 14, 2017, 06:39:49 am »
Sorry about the source, but there is barely a mention anywhere else right now.

Late Monday night, when many Americans were in bed, President Donald Trump quietly announced his intention to nominate former Washington state senator Don Benton (R) to be director of the Selective Service System, which operates the nation’s military draft.

This was when the problems first came to light.

They started with a White House statement that lauded Benton’s environmental record, and the three years he spent leading the Environmental Services Department in Clark County, Washington.

From the White House:

During his tenure [Benton], reduced the cost of removing hazardous waste from the waste stream while doubling citizen participation and tripling the tonnage of hazardous waste removed. Mr. Benton was also responsible for Clark County certifying more Green Schools than in any other county in Washington State.

Of the 204 words in the announcement, there wasn’t one mention of the military, the draft, or anything related to what the Selective Service System actually does. Nor were there any references to qualifications or experiences that prepare Benton to manage the millions of records in the draft system, or the agency’s roughly $25 million budget.

It was as if the White House had written the statement for a completely different job than the one Benton was being given.

Turns out, that’s exactly what happened.

Benton had originally been expected to fill a top position at the Environmental Protection Agency, where he was part of the Trump “landing team” during the presidential transition.

But this was before Benton began to infuriate his boss, the newly confirmed EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt.

Benton’s habit of interrupting policy discussions to make bizarre comments became so maddening, according to The Washington Post, that senior staff began keeping him out of policy meetings.

More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/don-benton-draft-board_us_58ef89d7e4b0b9e98489e9a0
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Suppressed

Re: Trump Taps Salesman To Run Military Draft
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 08:09:25 pm »
Only the best for the jobs.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

geronl

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 08:17:32 pm »
Sounds like a do-nothing job to me

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 08:19:04 pm »
Every biological male between 18 and 27 just got put on the world's longest mailing list.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

geronl

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 08:24:07 pm »
Every biological male between 18 and 27 just got put on the world's longest mailing list.

oh noes

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 11:27:14 pm »

In light of what's going on, that's probably a likely scenario.  Hopefully they're accelerating production of missiles and military aircraft as well. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 11:49:57 pm »
As one that was drafted, I do not take this lightly like most seem to do these days.

Many that enlisted, di so since they expected to be drafted. (A friend of mine, age about 19, enlisted for 2 years as he expected to be drafted. He got to wait until after Christmas to enter. He retired 37 years later as a 3 star General)

Vietnam cost over 58,000 American lives. In many of our wars, draftees were a big part.

Hopefully we will not need a draft, ever again. Just pray our leaders can keep the lid on over 1 billion each, of muslims, of Chinese, and of Indians.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 11:51:36 pm »

That's what I was thinking.

Reagan was president when I registered with the selective service. Exactly 0 people have been drafted since.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 11:56:57 pm »
As one that was drafted, I do not take this lightly like most seem to do these days.

Many that enlisted, di so since they expected to be drafted. (A friend of mine, age about 19, enlisted for 2 years as he expected to be drafted. He got to wait until after Christmas to enter. He retired 37 years later as a 3 star General)

Vietnam cost over 58,000 American lives. In many of our wars, draftees were a big part.

Hopefully we will not need a draft, ever again. Just pray our leaders can keep the lid on over 1 billion each, of muslims, of Chinese, and of Indians.

I obviously wasn't drafted but registering was a proud moment for me. Even though I didn't quite grasp the significance of it at the time, I could tell how proud my grandfather was to take me to register then drag me around to show me off to all his friends.

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 12:20:40 am »
   This is another check in the WIN column, cause it's gonna take a hell of a Salesman to convince Millennia's that we got to kick ass in the ME, again.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 12:33:36 am »
Huffpo freaking the libs out with the headline.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 01:33:09 am »
 :facepalm:

:facepalm2:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 01:38:49 am »

Don't forget the girls.  They are eligible now.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 02:14:32 am »
Don't forget the girls.  They are eligible now.
Not yet (last I checked) but they will be soon enough, or at least I hope so.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

geronl

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 06:52:42 pm »
I think we should abolish the Selective Service altogether

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 09:50:12 pm »
I think we should abolish the Selective Service altogether

It is pretty much pointless considering the fact that its unused and unlikely to be used in the future.

If we think the anti war/anti draft sentiment was bad in the 60s we haven't seen nothing compared to what it would be like today. That's why Charlie Rangel starts pushing for a military draft every time a republican is in the white house.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 10:03:59 pm »
“This is a completely inappropriate appointment for that position,” said Richard Painter, the chief ethics lawyer for former Republican President George W. Bush. 

“We need to convince young men to register for the draft, and to step up if they’re needed to fight. And who is it who’s asking them to do that? Someone who’s never served, and for whom this is a throwaway political patronage job.”

Yeah. Because W never had any patronage jobs in his bloated White House.....

Remember Micheal Brown?