Author Topic: Lesbian couple win $10,000 damages from county clerk who called them an ‘abomination’  (Read 351 times)

Offline Suppressed

Lesbian couple win $10,000 damages from county clerk who called them an ‘abomination’
Debbie Allen slammed pair's paperwork on desk and told them she was a Christian before attacking them in a rant that continued for several minutes
Rachel Chason 6 hours ago
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/lesbian-damages-couple-amanda-abramovich-samantha-brookover-debbie-allen-10000-county-clerk-a7923481.html

Last year, Amanda Abramovich and Samantha Brookover headed to their county clerk's office in West Virginia to receive a marriage license. What should have been one of the happiest days of their lives quickly took a sour turn.

A deputy clerk in Gilmer County allegedly chastised the women as she processed their marriage license, calling them an "abomination" and telling them God would "deal" with them, according to a complaint filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia.

A year and a half later, the Gilmer County clerk's office is paying Abramovich and Brookover, who have been together for seven years, $10,000 in damages and issuing them an apology, the Associated Press reported on Wednesday.

[...]

Excerpt.  Read more at http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/lesbian-damages-couple-amanda-abramovich-samantha-brookover-debbie-allen-10000-county-clerk-a7923481.html
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bolobaby

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will get me ten grand.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
So apparently being served is not enough, now we have to like it, too?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline bolobaby

So apparently being served is not enough, now we have to like it, too?

In all fairness, public servants shouldn't be abusive to the people who come in, but - if this is the standard - I've been heartily abused at the DMV plenty of times.

I want my monies, beyotches!
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!