Author Topic: Trump’s Insult to Montenegro Won’t Shatter NATO’s Credibility  (Read 433 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump’s Insult to Montenegro Won’t Shatter NATO’s Credibility
The US president has appalled NATO with his insulting language about its newest member – but the long-term damage to its standing will probably be less severe than many fear.
Marcus Tanner BIRN London

There is nothing as embarrassing as being invited to an exclusive party – and then having a glass of wine thrown in your face the moment you come through the door.

That’s how Montenegro’s rulers feel, having just cajoled their reluctant countrymen and women into becoming part of NATO.

No sooner do they join the club than they are publicly insulted by the US President as an “aggressive” little country that is not worth defending.

Read more at: http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/trump-s-insult-to-montenegro-won-t-shatter-nato-s-credibility-07-20-2018

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
That's probably my beef, you can have a criticism about a country but what he did was sort of hold them up to ridicule. Interestingly, with that 2016 coup plot that involved Serbs and Russians, link from wikipedia posted the other day, in a manner, it serves the Russian side.

And one can call a country little. Where does it end? Croatia is "little", so is Serbia, to some Poland, Hungary, Romania and so on would be called that as well.

I just think one needs to look at this fair and balanced.

Maybe Montenegro in that vein, should have never split from Serbia, too much autonomy perhaps.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:55:52 pm by TomSea »

Offline dfwgator

That's probably my beef, you can have a criticism about a country but what he did was sort of hold them up to ridicule. Interestingly, with that 2016 coup plot that involved Serbs and Russians, link from wikipedia posted the other day, in a manner, it serves the Russian side.

And one can call a country little. Where does it end? Croatia is "little", so is Serbia, to some Poland, Hungary, Romania and so on would be called that as well.

I just think one needs to look at this fair and balanced.

Maybe Montenegro in that vein, should have never split from Serbia, too much autonomy perhaps.